Sunday, January 21, 2007

Mrs. Utley's move pays off

Chase got a four-year extension, seven years total, at $12M per.

I like it. He's 28 this season, 34 in the final year of the deal (2013), probably exiting his prime though still quite talented. Easier to get him to agree to a four-year extension past the three he has now than to get him to sign a four-year deal once he's a 31-year-old free agent. That ain't happening.

Also, the annual cost is a steal. Ryan Howard, though, will not be a steal. If he makes less than $18M per, I'll do cartwheels. He's still sewn up through this decade, but hard to imagine the Phillies going into arbitration with him again next year, not having locked up a long-term deal.

One pet peeve: In several of the stories announcing Chase's deal, his age was not listed. As a reader, I'd like to know how old the man will be when he's up for a raise again. Bearing that in mind, I told you up front.

-yan-ard, Brett Myers and Geoff Geary are still up for arbitration. I honestly don't know what strategy I'd support on the hotheaded wife-slapper. Reader(s), suggestions welcome!

I'll work on updating the site and making it a bit more user-friendly during the conference title games today.

2 comments:

BookBabe said...

I'm thrilled. It is just so refreshing to see the organization get something done without all the angst-y handwringing of the past.

Not sure about the Mrs. Utley reference. Am I stupid? Did I miss something? Or is it just so arcane I am not capable of understanding it?

BookBabe said...

Oh, yeah, he got married yesterday - somehow I missed that big news. Yep, excellent career move.