Saturday, February 24, 2007

Starting over

Say the entire MLB tossed all its players back into a pool for a re-draft, but each team was allowed to hold onto one player before that happened.

Who would you keep?

Who would I keep? Chase Utley.

Here's my argument for him over Ryan Howard:
1) Position scarcity. Many more power-hitting first-basemen of Howard's ilk (if not caliber) than second-basemen of Utley's.
2) Speed. Utley has it, even if he's no Shane Victorino, and Howard doesn't.
3) Though they both strike out a decent amount, Utley's swing is more compact, so I can more readily imagine him cutting down on the K's.

They're about the same age, Utley born December '78, Howard born November '79, and they both hit lefty. And in fact, they can both play first base, whereas I don't think you'd ever want to put Howard at second.

Let me hear some arguments for Howard.

1 comment:

BookBabe said...

Let's see...arguing in favor of Howard over Utley.

From a purely marketing standpoint, you'd want to keep Howard. He has brought juice to the city that even Utley, with all his tools and his leadership qualities, couldn't. But, sad to say, I have to agree with your logic. Plus, think about the last month of the season - if the lineup isn't potent enough, Howard's effectiveness is much more limited than Utley's is.

I would hate to have to make this choice. I love them both, individually and together.

Intriguing food for thought.